Monday, March 11, 2013

Learning from the Trail

Week two.... Or is it? We've begun to refer to time on the trail as "Trail Time", much like 'dog years'.... it seems to move sometimes at a snail's pace and other times, we can't remember the day of the week. I recall this week, a group of us standing in the middle of the trail, and nobody being able to figure out what day it was. We all can only remember the day we started and that's about it. The miles and the shelters begin to blur together in some mental and emotional fugue, sometimes difficult to discern more than just the day of the week! 


We're almost 80 miles down, or should I say UP, the trail....and we're becoming part of the trail community, being absorbed into trail life. Waking, eating, hiking and sleeping. Mot much time or room for much else. We determined, based on the wise advice of others who've hiked this trail, to take it easy, move slowly to start and don't kill yourself for the first several weeks. "It's a marathon, not a sprint." So, we are taking advantage of each opportunity to stay in a motel when it presents itself to either 'zero' or 'Nero"... 


I'm personally being challenged with how weak I am. If any of you reading this ever think about doing this hike, let me tell you to get in shape first! Although, it's not making it impossible, it's just making it much more uncomfortable than it needs to be.

This section started off with the temps still below freezing every night....we slogged through snow, ice and mud....all in one day to do our first 11 mile day. Tough to do when every step has to be calculated and carefully placed to keep from falling and breaking your neck. I really don't want to face plant on these rocks!! The forest was gorgeous our first day back out....covered in ice and frost that blew sideways onto the trees! So cool looking!




Climbing Tray Mountain had been the first 'known' mental obstacle....a really tough climb in this section, but we did it. I had many conversations with God going up that mountain, begging for help and strength. But what He gave me were two revelations about myself that weren't too pretty and brought me to tears. One of my goals being here is that God would show me more of myself and the parts of me that needed work would be re-furbished. He is faithful to give us what we ask for... My faith is being strengthened and I'm learning more about the 'real' me. 

Success feels so good. Ascending a big hill and finally making it to the top is exhausting, but the sense of accomplishment feels so good. It's not the completion of a masters thesis or anything like that, but the feeling of success is still so sweet and so simple.


We've made so many friends already and are currently moving at a similar pace as some other 60's....'Snowman', 'Escargot', 'Dixie Grits', 'Silverfox' and 'Prayer Walker' are the names of the people we're currently moving along with. Excitement is building today as we anticipate moving into our next state tomorrow!! We'll be moving into North Carolina!!!


Until next time, Happy Trails from Dreamer, Socks and Charlie.



Here are the two most recent youtube videos from TNT on the Trail:

"Our Adventure Begins: "Home to Springer Mountain, GA"

"Springer Mountain to Neels Gap"

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up!! Early on my hike, I didn't look closely at the guide book. I decided to just pick my shelter for the next night and be surprised by whatever terrain came up. Later in my hike, I checked the book closely to see what was in store the next day. I recommend the first option.
    Also, don't pay too much attention to what the grapevine says. I was told, in all sincerity, about upcoming killer climbs, impenetrable deadfall, waist deep mud, etc. and the reality was never close. I spent too much time worrying about stuff that never came up.
    Eat lots of chocolate and everything seems better!

    Big Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each day will bring new strength, physical and mental, and you are finding that the clock and calender are not all that important. A great feeling. Wait till you can see your boots and trail in your sleep - you are going to learn much about the ground. Wish I could be there. Gods speed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom and Terri, I just love the audio with the video because it reassures me that you haven't lost your sense of humor. I pray every day for your safety and that God will daily renew your willpower and sustain you in whatever way you are needing. Glad you don't feel the need to push it and that you are enjoying the journey, even when it's difficult. Love you both! - Sue

    ReplyDelete