Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Week of Trials and Tribulations- Hiking the Appalachian Trail

The weather still is our biggest obstacle, and not really an obstacle as much as a nuisance. Freezing water every morning, frozen toothpaste and the ever frozen butt wipes. (As referred to by Tom in a previous video). We rely on those wipes for more than wiping our hands! If you know what I mean....and those are pretty chilly on the nether regions in the early morning!




The list of companion hikers we've met or have spent time hiking with is growing daily.... So very many interesting people! Kids of all ages and the older group with which we find ourselves most often. 

Leaving our zero time at Hiawassee was exciting...zero days are nice, but it's nice to get back out. We've been separated from the 'real world' long enough, that its a bit of sensory overload going into town for too long. The noise, the people, the smoke. It's stunning how many people in the south smoke!!!! 

Two notable things happened this week.... Our first day back out, late into the day, we crossed our first state line into North Carolina!! It was a pretty tough hike for most of the day OUT of Georgia and then all of a sudden, we walk upon this very unpretentious sign bolted to a tree announcing our arrival in North Carolina. Simple sign. Simple proclamation. But for us, monumentous and for me personally, worth shedding a few tears. 



It's been an emotional week for me ( Socks), not sure why. The reality of what we've taken on sometimes hits me like a thunderbolt and it scares the snot out of me. The grueling and non-stop cold weather is getting old and the terrain in North Carolina only exceeds that of Georgia. The climbs are getting more difficult and more rocky....like scrambling over boulders, hand over hand. 
In fact I had the first major meltdown coming over Albert Mountain a couple of days ago. It was the hardest to date, climb for me physically. My short legs couldn't make the climb, from one foothold to the next and using the trekking poles was proving useless, so I literally had to crawl on my hands and already very sore knees to the next boulder, all the while terrified that I'd fall backwards down the mountain if I lost my balance. One half way up the 300 ft. scramble, I just fell apart and sobbed against the nearest tree. I was overcome with fear. Fear of falling, fear of not being able to scale the mountain, fear of what worse might be ahead..... But I pulled myself together, pulled up my big girl panties and crawled up that sucker. Dirty handed and scraped kneed, I found some strength somewhere and by God, didn't fall off the mountain. Everyday, a small victory is to be found!


Late this week, we've met a new group of young hikers from all over and are getting quite an education! Hermes, Detour, Hollywood, Clever Girl and Dump Truck. The little recreational time we have together is mostly talking about why we're here and dreams of life after "the trail."  Yesterday I got an informative lesson on Crust Punks and their lifestyle..... And I thought we were nomads? Or some would say, 'Gypsy's with money.'


Today is a zero, with an unplanned extra day here in Franklin, NC. Yesterday, I stumbled down a corner on a switchback and torqued my 'good' left knee. Had to make a trip into the local Urgent Care for a check. 


Thankfully nothing structural, but soft tissue swelling and lots of discomfort. Steroids, pain pills, a brace and an extra day off will do the trick. In the meantime, I'm doing laundry, of which I'm drying in the parking lot of the motel along with all the other hiker trash perched outside here doing various things from reading maps to catching some sun for a change! 


Till further down the trail, Dreamer, Socks and Charlie!






13 comments:

  1. So admiring of you two. Terri, you're a real warrior. Stay safe. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of your accomplishments!!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant wait to hear of your next 100 miles. Keep on Keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this picture of you all on facebook and thought I would share. Keep it up!!! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552080244826564&set=a.451222088245714.104982.450110861690170&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife and I,(Raincloud and Happyfeet)also a couple of old farts, hope to meet you and feed you if timing is right as you enjoy the climb up Roan Mountain to the highest shelter on the AT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job guys, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heal up!! Thanks for the updates... love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep it going!.... YOU will never forget this adventure! DaVille and Patty Dailey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys! Reading your posts with great interest and maybe a little jealousy. Hope you are having a great time. I see lots of smiles in your pictures.

    Enjoy, my friend. Looking forward to your next post.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Admin! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.
    Bronze Plaques

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOHOO for making it out of Georgia. I hope your knee feels better really soon :) <><

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is Socks knee? Infinity said she met you at Budget Inn and she was waiting to visit M.D. Hope things heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear bout your knee, Socks......looking forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete