Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Formulating my thoughts into words....

Terri here....
I knew at some point and time, I too, would have to put into words "WHY on earth would I want to hike this trail?" I've put some considerable thought into it and want to share those publicly... to 'seal' the deal, so to speak. If I put it out there...it becomes more real and thus I become more accountable.Not in any particular order..
  • To be an integral part of the greatest gift I've ever given
  • To stretch myself physically, mentally and emotionally to determine the absolute limits of my 55+ body- pre-hike and during hike
  • To spend 5 months of uninterrupted time with my husband, love of my life
  • To detach myself from the trappings of the material world, the 'things' and stuff- pairing my life down the barest essentials for survival and carrying it all on my back
  • To attempt to cultivate a new relationship with myself, discovering who this new 'post-children', semi-retired person is.... what do I want to do with the next season of my life
  • To spend time in meaningful conversation with my husband... re-discovering and newly discovering each other
  • To involve myself fully in the people we meet on the trail, without distraction of daily life, learning from and growing with fellow hikers
  • To be able to better hear that 'still, small' voice inside my head and my heart
  • To be an example for my children and my grandchildren, that anything is possible if you just put your mind to it
  • To be totally dependant on myself and my own physical strength
  • To learn patience and an understanding that all things are NOT in my control and learn to ACCEPT that
  • To learn to deal with worry and fear- two emotions that constantly consume me
  • To have the time to enjoy creation and the earth- it's joys and challenges
  • To have greater fellowship with God and His Spirit, who lives within me
As we wind down our final days here in Maui, thoughts of going home and returning to 'life' as we left it... consumed with work, things and stuff, already plague me. I hope to be able to keep this list in front of me, keeping my eye on these goals and make my life begin to resemble the person who will be able to succeed at the greatest physical and mental challenge of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Terri, Love that you can bring all of these hopes and goals into such clarity for yourself. This is the first step to arriving there in the end. You are an amazing woman with an amazing husband to love and support you in this. Enjoy the journey. Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete