Thursday, March 22, 2012

A much less enthusiastic participant?

They say that opposites attract. In some ways, Tom and I are opposites.... I love EARLY mornings and he likes to sleep. I like Spring and he likes Fall. I like it cold and he likes it warm, and in the last post reference, we are opposites when it comes to backpacking. I hike for the destination. He hikes for the journey. Will we survive these considerable odds in attempting the AT hike? Yes, something tells me I think we'll find a happy medium, as we do in most things in our marriage...
I'm the other half of this hiking team known as 'TNT'.... a closer to 60 than 50, slightly out of shape, mother of 3 grown children. Professional photographer by trade, but closet "stay at home Mom." I LOVE our kids and enjoy the times we are all together more than anything.... they will be the most bittersweet part of the hiking journey. I'll miss them terribly. I LOVE to garden, am an avid 'DIY'er and knit and sew frequently. I basically crave time in our home doing most anything. ALL this to preface what I think my personal challenges will be on this hike.
This hike is a gift to my husband... after his month on the trail last year, I saw something in him that I knew he needed to pursue. As a Christmas gift that year.. I gave him a framed enlargement of himself on the trail, a trail planning guide and the commitment that I would make this trek with him for his 60th birthday in 2013! This probably will be my first mental obstacle. This is for him. Although, the more we've talked about it, prepped for it and are now actually planning, it's becoming more my hike too. I know that it will be the hardest thing I've EVER done, but will be the greatest gift I could ever share with him, (obviously, besides our children). It will be life changing for both of us.
He is the planner and organizer when we hike. He researches equipment, reads all the books, checks out the maps, watches videos and attends seminars. I am just the cook and a mostly pleasant hiking partner.
My job is food....we have, over the years, worked on different meals and for the most part, have never fallen prey to the 'freeze dried' packaged meals. As a lover of cooking and good food, I have always made unusual backpacking MEALS.... some of which are so heavy, that we've given them up for less weighty items. But, I'll be sharing meal tips, ideas and collecting new recipes I'll share for what we now refer to as "freezer bag cooking." Stay tuned for updates and please 'follow' us on this blogsite as we continue to prep for this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment