Sunday, November 25, 2012

Clothing/Gear I will be wearing at the beginning.


Dreamer here –

To say that we are getting excited would be a serious understatement!  96 days and counting!!  It is beginning to get real serious.  Terri, Charlie & I are just over three months away from the adventure of a lifetime for us!  A journey of journeys!!  We have been very busy with the typical day to day real life kinds of stuff that keep all of us busy; however, on top of that, we have been making lists, shopping, building more lists, working on spreadsheets, hiking almost everyday, building our food cash, and on & on…

The list of gear (below) was intended to be used with a video that I created.  But, it is just one more learning curve for me.   I am discovering there is a lot to learn about cameras, memory sticks, software, YouTube, etc.  A LOT!  It seems like every time I do something, I learn something.  For every three steps forward, I move two steps back; at least that is how it feels at times.  Here is my latest lesson, after working very hard to: create a list of gear I will be wearing, (everything not actually in my pack) assembling it all nicely on a table, setting up the camera and filming myself going over every item, loading it all into “Final Cut X”, watching tutorials, and creating a very amateurish video, I was ready to upload it to YouTube.  It is then I discovered that You Tube has a 15-minute limit on videos with out prior authorization.  Rats…  So, now I am waiting for authorization to come…  In the mean time, here is the blog post.  Which has been and continues to be a learning curve all by itself!

Nice picture!  Not blurry at all...  You get the idea!
I thought I would do four videos on our gear:  The clothing I will be wearing, all other clothing I will be carrying, all remaining gear and a final one on Charlie’s clothing and gear.  So, hopefully, when I get it all figured out, you will see them in the near future.  Until then, here is a list of clothing/gear that I will be wearing when we begin our thru-hike attempt of the AT on March 1st, 2013.

ITEMS
WEIGHT IN OUNCES
Tilley (Hat)
3.7
Gossamer Gear Hiking Sticks
8.6
Small (Swiss Army) Knife
1.0
Special Forces Compass
0.2
Salomon XA3D Ultra 2 Shoes
29.2
Orthotics (insoles in my shoes)
5.0
Gators (high cut) Mountain Laurel Designs
2.5

Windbreaker with Hood              (Houdini) Patagonia
4.4
Icebreaker Socks (Crew weight)
85% Merino Wool
2.8
Royal Robbins (zip-off) Pants
13.4
Icebreaker Short Sleeve Shirt
100% Merino Wool
0.6

Icebreaker Long Sleeve Shirt
100% Merino Wool
9.8
Underwear (Reebok)
4.0
Handkerchief
1.2
Watch (Suunto) Observer
3.0
Carmex or Burts Bees
0.4
Stickpic
0.4
Iphone
4.8
External Battery for Iphone
3.6
Earbuds
0.7
Video Camera Case
7.4
Sony HDR-CX580 Video Camera
12.2
Battery for Video Camera NP-FV50
1.7
Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC-1
0.1
Total Worn
7.54 pounds


Two other potential layers depending upon weather

3-Layer Jacket with Hood (Mountain Hardware – Quasar)
9.0
Synthetic Vest (Arc’Teryx)
9.8

1 comment:

  1. That's down to the basics...I would definitely have a very difficult time living without some "extras" though if I had to carry them for that length of time I would probably leave them along the trail in the first hour. You are one prepared guy!! Again, Tom...inspiring! Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete