Saturday, February 9, 2013

Can you help me with my trail name? -Appalachian Trail prep


“What's in a name? that which we call a rose
     
By any other name would smell as sweet..”
-       William Shakespeare

What really IS in a name? I was named Terese Ann Rytlewski at birth, some many decades ago and have forever since, gone by the name, Terri.  We sometimes wish we had a different name and sometimes like our names…. I always wanted to have another name, perhaps Laura or Elizabeth. Something more exotic and smoother flowing than, TERRI. Sometimes people want to spell it with a ‘y’ at the end, other times they want to make it TeresA. Go figure.

On the Appalachian Trail and other long distance trails, hikers often adopt other names. As Tom has previously dealt with some of this in another post, (http://tntonthetrail.blogspot.com/2012/12/why-do-you-use-trail-names-why-dreamer.html),  I won’t elaborate more on how he got his name or the other details about trail names.  
But, I would like to explain the origin of some trail names that we do know about. For instance, “Two Rings” got his name, because the tread his hiking boots laid down in the trail, created two very distinct rings in the dirt. Thus, Two Rings.
Our hiking friends “Tag-less and Tagalong” also known as the “Tag-Team”, got their names from their grandchildren. Dane (Tag-less) was working on assembling his hiking clothes one day, actually cutting the tags out to eliminate unnecessary weight and the possibility of irritation on his neck and his granddaughter piped up saying, “Grandpa, you’re Tag-less.” His wife, Connie who was kind of just going along with Dane on this journey, then became, “Tag-Along.”
One more hiking friend, adopted the name, “Big Sky” as he was from Montana and lived on the Yellowstone River.

You can clearly see that the names are either given (not the perfect situation as you might be handed a name that you DON’T want or deserve), or you choose a name leaving for the trail. This is where all of our readers come in…. I, Terri, don’t have a trail name yet and I’m pretty sure that I’d rather choose my own, rather than be handed an unpleasant or unflattering one down the trail.

Those of you that know me well might be able to help with this challenge and those of you that don’t, let me tell you a bit about myself and perhaps you can help me come up with a terrific handle for the hike.

I’m a Wife, a Mom and a new Grandmother. I’ve been married 33 years to the love of my life and I’m absolutely crazy in love with him! I’m mother to 3 awesome, adult kids that I’m ‘button busting’ proud of and most recently, grandmother to the most precious little creature, ever to grace the earth.
I’m a photographer, gardener, knitter and homemaker; and an amateur philanthropist.  I am typically a homebody, enjoying spending time in my garden or sewing room or whipping up a new DIY project. I’m not someone who enjoys being ‘out front’, but would rather hide in the background and quietly enjoy my life. I have been blessed with a rich relationship with my husband and children and some very special friends. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel across most of the US and even some other countries. Backpacking does not hold the same place in my heart as it does for Tom and this trip is my gift to him for his 60th birthday. I am a destination hiker, meaning I want to get to the next place and relax and most days am oblivious to my surroundings, only intent on the next camping site.

Knowing me personally and knowing these generalizations about me, can you help me come up with an appropriate name? I’m hoping that some of your suggestions will ring true with my spirit and I’ll be able to adopt your name for me.

Come on friends and readers, let the suggestions start!! I can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with!!

9 comments:

  1. Although we have never met, I did read your description Terri, and since you appreciate your time alone, I would have to pick: Soli-Terri. You sound like you enjoy your solitude.

    Dennis Blanchard, A.T. 07/08
    Author of Three Hundred Zeroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis,

    What an honor! Thanks for coming along with us!! I have read your book twice and loved it!!! You are an inspiration... Thanks for the suggestion, I like it. You are right on. I'll be curious to see what sticks in the end. Personally, I like "Socks." Most of her hiking clothes are dark colors; however, all of her hiking socks are very colorful. And she loves her socks. ~Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to suggest the name "Cricket". They aren't often seen "hiding in the background" but their presence does not go unnoticed as I'm sure your presence and the things you do for your family are quite noticeable (and appreciated). Also, the cricket is heard once one has settled in for the evening. The cricket is a good symbol for the end of day (reaching your evening destination) and for unselfish giving (your philanthropy & wife/mother/grandmotherhood) as the cricket unselfishly shares its evening serenade to sing the little ones to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April,

    Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! You have obviously given this some of your time and I really appreciate it. So far the suggestions have come from a wide range of ideas. I'll most certainly keep you posted on what I land on in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just looking at your pics, thinking of our trail journey and the funny adventures, when I read about your search for a name. Suddenly my youngest comes up to me and says: ' Mom, how do you always know everything I do? My friends have the same problem. You know, even if I hide whatever I do really well. Why do you know the truth?' So from one mother to another and from one knitter to another, as you are on your quest on the trail, I think your name should be Aletheia, the Greek goddess of truth. Truth sometimes has to go the path of most resistance.
    And after all, you would get to sign your name in the logbook like
    this Αληθεια and that in itself is so pretty like you :) !
    I wish you a great time on trail.
    Swiss miss with Mogli, Cookiemonster & Flyboy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, After years of watching you and Tom and how you love to spend time together, I have not doubt of this being another successful journey in your life. You have been an inspiration to us all in your relationship. That said, I think the perfect name would be Lydia. In the book, Women Who Made the Bible, Lydia is described as a woman with an open heart. A woman woman of God with great business acumen, which resulted in fruitfulness. All that can be used to describe your journey over the years.

    We look forward to living vicariously through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because u like gardening and not being out front...wallflower

      Delete
  7. I don't know about you, but I got my name for what I love.....mashed potatoes!
    ---Mashed Potato Monster

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have named you "get-there-itis"
    But what did you end up with?

    ReplyDelete