Thursday, April 25, 2013

Catching up with Dreamer and Socks

Team TNT has been separated now for THREE weeks....we're surviving, but not without almost daily phone calls or texts when able and prayers being lifted to Heaven on behalf of each other. We truly are one and space, time and geography can't separate us from each other's spirits.


Charlie and I have been holding down the fort at home in Michigan, mostly waiting for surgery to repair the knee. Once it was diagnosed, the waiting for the actual surgery date was agonizing for the Team....I'm not a patient person anyway, (something God was helping me to work on while hiking), so each day, I tried to fill my time doing some projects around the house, that required TWO legs....cleaning the basement, etc. 

While Dreamer, on the other hand, has been plugging away at the miles on the Appalachian Trail. He continues to average about 15 miles per day, still enduring all sorts of nasty weather and terrain. The Smoky Mountains were a real challenge for him physically and probably even more mentally. Getting back on trail as a solo hiker was tough emotionally and mentally for him. I struggle from a distance being challenged in different ways....missing him, being jealous about the fact that he's still their living 'our' dream and keeping myself from being depressed at my situation here.


He's meeting a whole section of new hikers and even catching up with some that we started with in our first week! He's able to move so much faster without me and so now is cranking out serious miles! I'm so proud of him and his perseverance.... Honest revelation: I don't think, were the roles reversed, that I'd still be out there alone, trying to go on. I'm weak and would be way too lonely and insecure about my abilities to hike alone. 





His physical load is a bit more because he has to carry all the gear himself and his heart is a little heavier too....without the rest of the Team....

The countdown will begin again soon!





2 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the videos! Loved the views and Tom's humor (ie. the young bucks passing & the bear note reaction). Hang in there Terri!! TNT Together again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomers, great job but the loneliness is palpable. My heart goes out to you in this part of your hike when you are separated from your soulmate and your dog. Spring has finally arrived in Michigan...wish you could see it and experience some of it where you are too. Keep your chin up. Terri is doing her very best to make it back on the trail. Life does roll along doesn't it? Praying that God makes each of your steps sure and keeps you safe. Love you much little brother!!

    ReplyDelete