Wednesday, April 3, 2013

This is the saddest story of all....

As many of you know, we have gotten 175 miles into our hike, made it to Fontana Dam and were just a day away from heading into the Smoky Mountain National Park, another huge geographical milestone for Team TNT. We assumed we'd be celebrating our next victory and anticipating the excitement of heading into the Smokies.... heavy with supplies, anticipating deep snow and much more of the same weather that we've had. It didn't matter though. It's all part of the experience! (As we frequently say....)

Instead, we are in Michigan, repacking packs and supply boxes to eliminate mine and Charlies supplies from them. I will not be continuing on the trail at this time....

It makes me cry to even think about tomorrow, when Dreamer (Tom), will return to Fontana Dam and continue on into the Smoky Mountains without us. This isn't how it was supposed to happen. This wasn't part of the 'dream'.

After the initial injury to my left knee on March 15, descending Albert Mountain, into Rock Gap.... things just never improved enough to make the pain tolerable for any length of time. I stoically continued, trying not to complain, praying for a miracle, hoping for the best. We spent the week in "cell #19" as we lovingly referred to it, nursing it with ice, Motrin and pain pills. The trail angels came out of the woodwork to help us "slack-pack" so that I didn't have to carry much weight and hopefully rest the knee. But, all of that just didn't work and the last couple days on trail were sheer agony. Wincing with every footfall, I painfully made my way down into Fontana Dam to end my through hike of the AT.

We tearfully admitted that I was done and needed to come home for further evaluation by my own orthopedic surgeon....so, Easter Sunday, we made the long drive to Michigan to surprise our kids and tell them about the change in our plans.

Monday, I was able to see the surgeon for evaluation, Tuesday had an MRI and will be following up next Tuesday for probably surgery recommendation. He suspects a torn meniscus, which would be an easy repair and rehab. But with the arthritic condition of the knee, more could be in store. We are holding our breath till next week and the final answers come.

In the meantime, I am icing, resting and eating antiinflammatory medications, dreading tomorrow, when Tom heads back to the trail to resume his thru hike. My hope now is that I will be able to rehab quickly and rejoin Tom later down the trail... for day hikes, slack packing or maybe even be able to continue to finish the trail with him. We are praying for this ending to our story.


My last photo of me... taken on trail.



I made a video to explain how I feel and you can watch it HERE.


9 comments:

  1. Terri I'm so sorry you are going through this. I was just thinking about you this morning before seeing the video and I thought "this journey will change her. I wonder if I'll ever know how." And then you held up the words "this has changed me" and I smiled. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers as you have surgery and recover and miss Tom. Blessings all over you! (Ginny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lord, help me to understand that your love is greater than my disappointments, and your plans for my life are better than my dreams.

    Trusting that one day you will understand His plan for this time in your life and will be able to truly rejoice and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done so much more than I can ever imagine...this setback will be difficult and I cried with you, but as you said, it has changed you. I'm sure for the better. Good luck to Tom on his continued journey, and good luck to you, Terri, that you CAN make it back to finish the trail together...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri,
    I'm sorry to hear that you'll be missing some of the hike (hopeful thoughts sent your way). Good luck with your recuperation and get well soon so you and Charlie can join the fun again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri and Tom,

    I can't even imagine fully how this feels right now. My heart breaks for you both in this setback. But like you said, Terri, I am trusting God's plan in all of this. I will be praying for a quick recovery and rehab and that you'll be back out there to finish it together. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Terri,
    I am a MAC-er and although we don't know each other very well, I think you would recognize me. I saw your story in the Greater Lansing Woman magazine today as I waited for my 92 yr. old father getting cataract surgery. Then I went home and logged on to this blog. Very saddened by this bad turn of events. I am a strong Christian who believes that God does heal people supernaturally, in His own plan, not mine. But I did feel a tug to send this message to you: I "just happen" to be attending a special prayer meeting this Sunday which is for people wanting prayers for healing. If you can come, great. Otherwise, I will pray for you and a quick healing of your knee. If that's ok with you. If you want to try and come yourself, feel free to email me. linda.luginbill@gmail.com God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, I've been following this blog and thought you might enjoy it. When I read "Delay deepens desire" in his post today (God of Surprises), I thought of you. http://hikerdude.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/god-of-surprises-part-i-punctuality-and-punctuation/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love ya! Hoping for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following TNT's adventures, and I want to say how sorry I am for this (hopefully, temporary)setback. You are still an inspiration to those of us planning our own AT adventure. Praying for a recovery for you. Keep the faith! Good thoughts, Whisper.

    ReplyDelete