Wednesday, April 10, 2013

TNT will be on the mend!!!


It’s literally been a roller coaster of emotions over the past couple of weeks, since returning to Michigan and Tom (Dreamer) returning to the trail without the rest of Team TNT. We are both struggling in similar, yet very different ways.

We are a couple. We are a team. We are partners. 

And we don’t do well apart…. So the first issue is just the physical separation. I’m lonesome and I miss him. He’s expressing much the same and more. “The hike just isn’t the same without you”, he says. We just enjoy being together…. most of the time. So, this geographical separation is very disconcerting for us. So too, is the separation of the ‘dream.’ He’s moving on down the trail, experiencing things I’ll miss, meeting other hikers I’ll never know and accumulating the total mileage that I won’t have or will have to make up at some other time.

We had grown adept at trail life. We knew who carried what gear, who did what when we got into camp, who packed up what when we broke down camp and which one of us was documenting what events. We had ‘become’ part of the trail. Dreamer, Socks and Charlie. We were well known on the trail, mainly because of Charlie.
(He’s a real charmer!) Many times, we’d be hiking down the trail, in the middle of nowhere and someone would come up and say, “Hey, you must be Charlie!” And then, we’d introduce ourselves as, “Charlie’s parents”, which we were better known as.
Our daily life ran pretty much the same…. Get up, pack up, hike, eat, sleep and start all over again the next day. Moving in tandem with many other hikers, driven by the same inner compass, moving northbound. Up and down mountains, through mud, slush and snow, to get to that next shelter, where we’d pitch our tent amongst the other colorful nylon domes and rest our weary and tired bones.



Tom says it’s been tough hiking through the Smoky Mountain National Park, literally. The terrain is very different from what we’d experienced thus far. Apparently, the trail groomers/builders in this section thought switchbacks were for sissies, because everything is either straight up or straight down. And, it’s been tough mentally for him. Even though he’s hiking along with many others, he still feels alone and isolated without us. And that’s even tougher than the physical part.



BUT, after a visit with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday, we have reason to celebrate!! Team TNT will be back together! I learned from the MRI that I had torn both the medial and lateral meniscus in my left knee. It’s no wonder it hurt and it’s quite amazing that I managed to hike almost 60 miles with that injury, up some of the toughest assents and descents we’d hiked over the 175 miles that I was able to hike. Guess I’m one tough hiker chick, have a very high pain threshold or was just simple determined to hike!

Surgery is scheduled at this time for April 22nd and with a bit of rehab and strength training, I should be back on trail the first week of June! Making my countdown calendar look like this!



I’ve got my gear all ready to pack and Charlie is ready too! As soon as we get the go-ahead after surgery, Charlie and I will start just walking flat ground, gaining strength and putting some miles together. After a bit longer, we can add our packs and start putting down even more miles. Even though we know that we won’t be able to keep up with the 20 miles that Tom is now doing, we’ll be there and doing our best. It won’t be long before Team TNT is cranking out some good miles TOGETHER!!


We are so thankful for all the love; support and prayers that we’ve been shown over this past couple weeks. The outpouring has been simply overwhelming. We are humbled and honored to have such wonderful family and friends… some of which we don’t even know, but are part of the bigger hiking community. We are profoundly grateful and blessed.

If you haven't seen this video that some dear friends created, check this out. I am so humbled with this much love.

We will continue to keep you updated with information from the rehab to the places and miles Tom is covering! Stay tuned. Things are about to get exciting! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I know you had to have cried when you saw that video. I don't know anyone in it...and I got tears in my eyes!!! (Your "naked" Maui friends made me LAUGH!)

    Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery so you can hit the trail stronger than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "literally" a roller coaster of emotions? do they have that at six flags?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks, I am so glad to hear that you will be returning to the trail before long! You are indeed one tough hiker chick! :) Take care & get that knee in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO for the good news! I've been following here and on YouTube. I cried with you when I watched your video announcing you had to get off trail. Very very happy to know you'll be back. Well, I already knew you would, but now there's something tangible to show it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOO glad that you will be returning to the trail! Here's to a speedy recovery so the dream team will be back together soon! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Socks, you ARE one tough hiker chick! Here's to a speedy recovery. Good thoughts, Whisper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Socks. Heal quickly and completely so you can enjoy the hiking you love WITH your love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heal quickly Socks! Prayers to you for a speedy recovery and prayers to Dreamer for safe trail ahead!

    ReplyDelete