Friday, December 7, 2012

An update from Charlie!


Charlie here-

I fell in love with Mom & Dad, the 1st time I saw them!
Many of you have asked about me and wondered how hiking with a dog is going to work.  Will I be ok?  Can I do it?  Am I strong enough?  Will taking me on the trail be a lot more work for Mom & Dad?  What am I going to eat?  How much am I going to eat?  Am I going to carry my own own stuff?  What about bears & snakes?  All good questions, next year, I may be able to answer them for you.  ;-)  Right now, I am just trusting in Mom & Dad.

I can tell you that Dad has been buying a lot of things for me lately like: boots, new backpack, different kinds of dog foods and Mom has made me a sleeping bag.  She is even sewing me a new raincoat right now.  Dad takes me for long walks at Rose Lake almost every day.  Right now, I am up to carrying 5 pounds in my pack, which is pretty good considering we usually hike from 6 - 8 miles each day.  By the time we head out in 84 days, I should be good to go with carrying all the food I will need.

In the mean time, let me assure you of a few things:  I sure love hiking and I know I would have it no other way than to go with them.  My biggest concern is the cold and keeping warm in the mountains during the late winter and early springtime.  Being from the South, I tend to shiver pitifully when it is cold outside.  I am grateful for Mom & Dad, because I know it would be much easier for them without me.  But, I’ll try to make it up to them with lots of love and kisses!

Stay tuned for a future video that Dad is working on, featuring me!  Dad is going to spend one whole segment on my clothing and gear.   Sure seems like Dad is making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.  Oh well, he is my master you know and I am just the dog…  (Ya Right)

In the mean time, Dad has been in touch with other humans who have thru hiked with their dogs in past years.  Very interesting, connecting with others who would not leave their dogs at home either…

Check out this excellent video about a guy and his dog; they made it all the way!  The star of the show is “Kooper”, he is awesome!!

On a Thru-Hike – Appalachian Trail 2010

Woof Woof,

~Charlie

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing! Charlie looks just like our Sara! We are planning to start our thru hike at Springer around Feb. 23 or 24. Maybe we will see you along the way!

    ReplyDelete