Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Tom's Answer to the Question, Why Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail?"

(Repost from March)
 Tom here...

Everyone asks the same question after you tell them what thru-hiking means.  "Why would you want to do that?"  Very few people say, "Wow!  That sounds interesting.  I would sure like to do that!"

So, why do I want to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail?  (In no particular order.  This list will evolve over time.)
    ▪    I want to experience the challenge of being stretched, physically and mentally.
    ▪    I want to discover where my inner limits actually are.
    ▪    Taking life to a place of experiencing the most basic elements and needs.
    ▪    Experiencing the thrill of "firsts" each and every day!  (How many times are there in the average week that you get to say, "Hey, I have never done that before?")
    ▪    I am hoping that each (day/week) on the trail will in some measure help me to peel away the layers (like an onion) and hopefully by the end, I will find myself closer to the core of me than before I started.
    ▪    I need to be reminded once again; what, and how much I need to be thankful for in my life.
    ▪    I want to experience standing on Springer Mountain, knowing...  I am standing on the threshold of a dream.  (Dreamer 2013 GA - ME)
    ▪    I want to experience my life one moment at a time; unaware and separate from life as I currently know it that is complicated, always demanding and stressful.  (Said another way...  The opportunity of hiking for five months, away from the 24 hour news, issues at CEMA, etc.  I am hoping that mentally / emotionally I will be able to really, as I have envisioned in my mind, experience my life in its purest sense.)
    ▪    If I do not try, I will never know.
    ▪    I want to be as prepared as I can possibly be, but not so much that my mind is drawn to distraction (things & stuff) and the total experience is pre-planned.  May all the hours of preparation lead to a safe hike filled with satisfying all my needs, but not all of my desires.
    ▪    May my journey be the fertile seed that may grow in others to better prepare them for their attempt.
    ▪    I want to inspire my children and eventual grand children.  Not so that they are proud of me, but that one day in the future they may be faced with a daunting challenge...  And remember what Dad was doing when he turned 60 years old.
    ▪    Hiking always draws me closer to God.  I would like for God to use this time to speak to me.  My goal is to be open to not just hearing, but listening.

~Tom (Dreamer)

1 comment:

  1. Dreamer...love the "I want to inspire my children and eventual grandchildren..." This is something we share in common & I agree, it's not so they will be proud of me, but that by our example they too will find the courage to face their challenges in life & realize that whatever problem, with God's help and their determination, can be overcome.

    ReplyDelete