Friday, December 21, 2012

First Hike of the Year in Michigan Snow


Dreamer here,

WOW!!!  What a great morning hiking with Charlie!!  When we left, it was about 29 degrees and had snowed about and 1 ½” during the night.  A light snow fell for the two hours we were out at Rose Lake.  The wind was blustery out of the North; however, mostly quiet in the woods.

Charlie wore his insulated jacket under his pack for the first time while hiking.  He seemed very comfortable and definitely drier than he would have been without it.  He is carrying about six pounds now in his pack.  For those of you wondering, Charlie’s feet (for some reason) do not get crusted with snow like other dogs we have had in the past.  This is a blessing, because otherwise, he would have to wear his boots full time when there was snow on the ground.

I started out with four layers: short sleeve & long sleeve merino wool base layers, insulated vest and my wind shirt.  It was obvious in the first 15 minutes that I had too much on!  I traded the insulated vest and wind shirt for my 3-layer Quasar jacket.  That combination was perfect.  Carrying about 30#’s in my pack, I never felt cold or sweaty…  A perfect combination!

As most of you know, I love to hike in any weather; however, rain and snow are my hands-down favorites!  Obviously, hiking in a cold windy rain is the most dangerous, (hypothermia issues) and my least favorite.  I just think there is a special magic in the woods when it is raining or snowing!

Check out my short video on our morning!

http://youtu.be/In0Rftl_7KQ        

Merry Christmas

~Dreamer

2 comments:

  1. Tom, I have a big grin on my face after watching this video. I love how Charlie turns and looks back every now and then to make sure you're still there behind him. So cute. Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,

    Charlie has always been a lover of all things that happen in the woods, but recently he has become a super hiker! He has been carrying all the weight in his pack that he will actually be carrying on the trail. And even with a bit over six pounds in his pack, he still has the strength and agility to chase after squirrels!! His one issue, is cold. He is a SUPER lightweight when it comes to cold. We are hoping that the lesson to keep him his sleeping bag, will be a short one. As far as looking around to make sure we are there, he simply never gets very far from us. Great quality for him to have on the trail...

    Love you,

    ~Dreamer

    ReplyDelete