Monday, June 11, 2012

Hiking the North Country Trail


Greetings from Dreamer

As always, I find my mind returning to hiking and backpacking in almost every other thought!  It is almost as if I am crazed, near to obsessed with: hiking, gear, maps, guides, food, spreadsheets, books and videos about backpacking.  Charlie and I cover about 5 miles, most days of the week.  But in the evening when all the work is done, dinner is cleaned up, I like to sit back and watch a DVD on the Appalachian Trail.  And my favorite is TREK!  I have watched it (seriously) many many times.  I’ll watch it with anyone that is willing to sit through it.  Check it out on Amazon. 
1st picture of Charlie when we rescued him.
My purpose in writing today is discussing our (Our being, Charlie & I) newest adventure.  We have been planning and preparing since our last adventure to the Jordan River Valley to cover another 100+ miles of the North Country Trail.  This time, we will be hiking the section of trail maintained by the  (GTHC) Grand Traverse Hiking Club.  Even though I have been a member for quite some time, I have never hiked the portion of trail that the club over see’s.  If you are interested in more information on the North Country Trail, go to NorthCountryTrail.org and check it out.  I can personally say the folks at GTHC are amazing!   A few weeks ago, I wrote to Sara Cockrell, the Program Chairperson for information and within a few hours I had all my questions answered and more.  If you would like to join their hiking clubs group, you can go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrandTraverseHikingClub/.

Dreamer is about to take his first steps on the AT
Here is our proposed schedule for the trip:

June 23 – From: Udel Trailhead to Sawdust Hole – 11 miles
June 24 – From: Sawdust Hole to Campsite #6 – 12 miles
June 25 – Campsite #6 to Mesick – 11 miles
June 26 – Mesick to Anderson Creek – 11 miles
June 27 – Anderson Creek to Baxter Bridge – 8 miles
June 28 – Baxter Bridge to Fife Lake – 16 miles
June 29 – Fife Lake to Sheck’s Place – 14 miles
June 30 – Sheck’s Place to Guernsey Lake – 10 miles
July 1    -  Guernsey Lake to Kalkaska – 10 miles

Terri & Dreamer hiking in Shenandoah National Park
Obviously, this is only our “proposed” stops and approximate mileages.  Depending on how Charlie and I are feeling, weather conditions, and a host of other variables, this could all change.  We could very well go beyond Kalkaska, and we could very well not even make it that far!  We’ll see… 
Dreamer on McPhee's Knob in Virginia

If there needs to be a purpose for this hike other than simply getting out there, it is to:  give Charlie an extended hike to check out his abilities, test some new gear (more to follow on that) as well as test Blogging from my cell phone, and uploading pictures etc.  So, stay tuned between June 23 and July 1st.  I’ll be Blogging about our journey, testing to see how this will all work when we take off next March on the Appalachian Trail.

~Dreamer

2 comments:

  1. I assumed you were planning to hike the 100 miles maintained by GTHC. Your schedule indicates you are starting nearly three days south of GTHC maintainance area and ending at Kalkaska, about 3 days south of our end at Starvation Lake Road.
    I also note that you are doing the Manistee River Trail rather than stay on the NCT.
    Hope you enjoy it all.

    Ed M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed,
      Sorry if I have left you with the wrong impression. When considering my hike, club boundaries were never a consideration. Kalkaska began as my end point because that is where my ride was scheduled to pick me up. It could have been somewhere else, it just started out there and never changed. I really did not realize until a few days ago where the boundaries even were. After that the mileage simply was what it was. Since then,a few from the GTHC recommended the MRT and Campsite #6 in particular. Thanks for your encouragement and well wishes. ~Dreamer

      Delete