Saturday, June 30, 2012

Our Best Day of All

Greetings from Dreamer!

Our Best Day of All!!
Normally, Charlie & I are up and around by 6am at the latest. Not this morning! We slept in! We were cuddled up like two peas in a pod when my eyes flicked open. No covers were necessary, whatever the temperature was, it wasn't hot or cold. By the time we did a our chores and packed, it was 8:30am. Our latest start, but we were in no hurry. I think a bit of depression was sitting in, knowing we were in our last full day on the trail, left me a little sad.
I have a new appreciation for the NCT!
I truly do enjoy this on a level that is indescribable. So, when we hit the trail, I was feeling a bit down.  We left Dollar Lake feeling quite positive we were going to find a great campsite today somewhere between the Sandy Lakes Quiet area and Guernsey Lake. Because it was only 6 miles to Sandy Lakes, we were searching by 11am. Like the Muncie Lakes area, Sandy Lakes has its own trail system that the North Country Trail (NCT) fits right into. (It would have been nice if I had brought a map of this area.) Once the NCT joined the Sandy Lakes area, there was a nice map at the trail junction. It would be the last time I would see a map of the area. (For those of you that know me, my memory is not my strong suit.)

Our campsite at Sandy Lakes Quiet area.  Perfect!
To make a long story short, we wandered around lakes for almost 2 hours. Good news is we found a perfect campsite!  Bad news is, I am not completely sure where we are.  My plan tomorrow is to move on the side trails by compass until we reach another junction with a map on a post.  Our site is above the water, in a bed of pine needles, under HUGE pine trees (branches with pine needles do not even start for at least 40 feet. The shade feesl like air conditioning compared to stepping out into the sun; which Charlie and I did when we gathered or water, washed clothes and went skinny dipping! The water in the lake was so clear (could easily see 15 feet) Charlie was going wild trying to catch the fish that were simply swimming right in front of him.
My video camera set-up.  I took almost 3 hours of video!
I ran to get the video camera, but by the time I was set, he had lost interest, realizing that he wasn't goint to catch any.  Right now, I find myself very grateful for this blessed time on the North Country Trail!!!  I can smell the sweet scent of pine, a breeze that comes and goes with the regularity of swells on the ocean, I can hear ducks on the lake playing, birds of many languages singing and the mighty snore of my good friend Charlie!

Morning at Sandy Lakes.
 Life on the trail with...

Charlie & Dreamer

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa (to be), It is so much fun living vicariously through you while I sit here in my AC typing along. Glad things got much better, but you sure have had your share of challenges, least of which you seem to have no matter where you are. I can SO relate!! Growing older is not for the faint of heart. Trusting you arrived home safe and sound. Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete