Thursday, June 28, 2012

One very tough day for Charlie & Dreamer!

Greetings from Dreamer!

One very tough day for Charlie & Dreamer!! From our restful and the emotional high at "Two Bridges over Two Creeks Junction" campsite,  Charlie & I left for Fife Lake.
Campsite at 2 bridges over 2 creeks junction.
Our resupply box and a much deserved  night  in a Motel awaited.  I am unsure of the temperature today but I can tell that the heat laughed at the two liters of water I left camp with!  The North Country Trail Guide is silent on water sources leading up to Fife Lake. In short, THERE ARE NONE!  Additionally, the trail today, although flat, was sandy and exposed. Which means hot!
Our spot at Campsite #6 on the Manistee River Trail.
If that wasn't enough, today was the day the horse flys decided to harass me endlessly!   Even though I shared all the water I had, Charlie suffered!  He actually stopped and laid down twice while making the torturous road walk into Fife Lake. The convenience store on the corner of 131 & 186 looked like the promised land!!!  You may be asking, why not hitch a ride into town?  We tried for almost an hour at at 186 trailhead with no luck. Then I continued while walking, with no luck.

Around every bend there is another beautiful view!
 A step back for a moment...  I had intended to take the Sparling Spur Road into town. However, of the dozen two track roads I crossed, I never found none labeled Sparling Road. I may have missed a sign, but if there is no sign, I am wondering how one is supposed to know which road was the right one if you (like me) are not familiar with the trail?  (I have since learned the sign is actually down on the ground.)

Sweet log bridge over Sparling Creek.
 The good news, the Post Office had my resupply box and the Fife Lake Resort not only had a vacancy, but their rules allowed pets as well. We enjoyed another Rootbeer float and a swim in the lake. Very nice indeed!!!  Time to rest up, we have about 14 miles tomorrow!

 Happy Trails,

Charlie & Dreamer

1 comment:

  1. Truly so sorry for all the challenges of today. Thought of you today as I was running errands and enjoying the car's AC in between stops. Hope your comments about the signage will help make a change for someone else in the future. Charlie has such a good daddy. Thoughts and prayers are with you Tom. Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete