Thursday, June 14, 2012

Time to Start Packing!!


Good Morning from Rose Lake!

Simply one of God's greatest blessings!  The hope of a new day...
Another spectacular morning in the woods!  (Personal Note: A few years ago I was basically complaining to Terri that I didn't have something in my life, like a hobby or delight of some kind that I truly loved doing.  Most of my family & friends all have something that flips their switches.  It occurred to me this morning, I do as well.)  I am blessed!!

Food Preparation is almost complete
Terri has gone above and beyond this time!!  I just finished eating a sample of the Beef Stroganoff she has been working on.  (A recipe from the Happy Hammock Hanger.  Check an earlier post from Terri) IT IS FANTASTIC!!  Not good or great, but fantastic!!!  Better than the sampling off the stove!!!!  WOW!  Am I ever excited.  If it tastes that good here at home, just think how wonderful it will be sitting in the woods after a long day on the trail…

Three Days of Food for Charlie & I

The picture above represents 3 days of food for our upcoming hike.  I will carry a batch like this (Charlie will carry his own food) when I start and send one each to the Post Offices in Mesick and Fife Lake.  (I will send it General Delivery, addressing it to myself with a note that says something like, “Hold for North Country Trail Hiker.”  I would normally only do one mail drop for a 9-day trip, but there really is not a good place to send it to between Mesick and Fife Lake.

Here is a list of my food stash for 3 days:

5.1oz - Beef Stroganoff  (Dinner)
4.4oz – Hamburger Gravy  (Dinner)
10.9oz – Tuna Noodle Casserole  (Dinner)
4.6oz – Hot Chocolate
6.0oz – Gorp (Almonds, M&M’s & Chocolate Bare Naked Cereal)
2.7oz – Snack Bag (Cheese Puffs, Pringles & Cheddar Cheese Crackers)
7.2oz – G2 Drink Mix
4.0oz – Fiber Bars x3
6.0oz – Power Bars x2
6.1oz – Snickers x3
3# 7oz - TOTAL

Charlie’s food stash:

32oz – High Protein Dog Food x 6
3.4oz – Treats
2# 4oz - TOTAL

Odds are, we will not starve in the woods!

~Dreamer




4 comments:

  1. Do you carry your own water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Anonymous,

      Yes, we carry our own water. But only enough to get to the next water source. When we do obtain water from anything other than a source we can trust, we treat it with Aqua Mira.

      ~Dreamer

      Delete
  2. Very cool Tom!!!! Have fun as we know "life is a journey"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Sue! I trust all is well? I have not heard anything to the contrary anyway... Yes, Life surely is a journey!! Sometimes great fun, and other times not so great fun!! The lows really make you appreciate the highs when they come. Please give my best to brother Bill...

      Delete